Timberwise floors are immediately ready for use after their installation and first clean. The floor will last for decades when appropriately installed, used and cared for. Marks of use are part of a wooden floor’s natural character. The degree and types of use must be considered in the maintenance of oil-waxed floorings.
When required, it is possible to order a comprehensive maintenance set from Timberwise, containing: OSMO Color Wisch Fix cleaning detergent, cleaning and conditioning wax spray and coloured or colourless oil wax for correcting small scratch marks.
Timberwise floors are easy and simple to maintain when the following main principles are followed:
- appropriate humidity (RH 40-60%) and temperature conditions (+18-24°C), ventilation, air humidifying
- doormats should be placed on both sides of front-doors
- Do not keep wet shoes on parquet. In hallways, plastic mats should be placed under shoes to prevent water damage.
- use of a minimal amount of water when cleaning – after wiping, the floor should be dry in one minute!
- immediate stain removal
- use of felt patches on furniture leg ends
Regular maintenance and cleaning
- Vacuum clean all loose dirt and wipe the floors with a damp mop. Do not wet the floor unnecessarily, and always use minimal amounts of water when cleaning wooden floors.
- As a cleaning solution, we recommend using warm water and mild soap (ph 5-7), such as OSMO Color Wischfix cleaning and conditioning concentrate. Do not use alkaline cleaning agents! Remember to carefully familiarise yourself with the usage and measurement instructions on the packet.
- For removing difficult stains, we recommend using OSMO Color conditioning and cleaning wax. One litre of this wax, when used in correct proportions, is sufficient to clean an area of approx. 100m² (recommended measurement: 2 teaspoons per square metre).
To avoid scratches, it is recommended that you attach felt pads to the ends of furniture legs.
If the surface of the wooden floor has been damaged, for example when moving furniture, for example Osmo Color oil wax can be locally applied to the surface.
- If required, the surface is sanded gently (sandpaper coarseness 150-180) and cleaned thoroughly.
- The oil wax should be spread out as a thin layer; after this, leave to dry for 8 to 12 (+20°C) hours, maintaining appropriate ventilation.
- Complete hardening is achieved only after about 2 weeks, after which the floor can be polished.
NOTE! The surface structure of brushed wooden floors will change if the surface is sanded. The wear layer of Timberwise Flooring is 4mm thick, so even brushed floors can be sanded at least twice.
OBS! The first maintenance oiling is obligatory for public spaces, and must be
done right after the installation and before opening the space for public.
- Vacuum clean all loose dirt and wipe the floors with a damp mop. Do not wet the floors unnecessarily.
- As a cleaning solution, we recommend using warm water and mild soap (ph 5-7), such as OSMO Color Wischfix cleaning and conditioning concentrate. Do not use alkaline cleaning agents!
- For removing difficult stains, we recommend using for example OSMO Color conditioning and cleaning wax.
Once a week or when required:
- Treat the dry and clean floor with for example OSMO conditioning and cleaning wax. Apply a small amount of cleaning wax directly on worn-out spots and polish them using a floor polisher. First use a coarse-textured disc and then a polishing disc.
- If the cleaning mass is left dirty, remove it with a piece of cloth. The drying takes a couple of hours, after which the floor can be polished.
- Use for example OSMO Color conditioning and cleaning wax to remove stains and ingrained dirt. Apply some wax to a piece of cloth, and rub it directly against the stain.
- A red scouring pad can also be used. Remove the dirt and let the surface dry for an hour. If required, polish the surface.
Once or twice a year:
- It is recommended that the entire floor be treated with for example OSMO oil wax for wooden floors (no.3062, matt). Follow the OSMO Color instructions when using the oil.
- It is recommended that felt pads are used under furniture. Office chairs which have wheels should be placed on protective mats.
- Do not use cleaning detergents that contain abrasive ingredients. Do not use alkaline cleaning agents. Use doormats. All tools should be cleaned with solvents containing little or no aromatic substances.